Products in this Bundle (4)
Take an in-depth look at the symbols, language, geography, and traditions of Japan—at a savings of 25%—with the books, activities, and poster in the .
Book Resources Included:
- introduces the location, national flag, cultural symbols, and landmarks of Japan, along with common phrases in Japanese.
- Introduce the native language with , a book that features fun facts, traceable number words, and a Kanji character writing activity.
- Follow-up with , a mini coloring book that includes a color chart.
Cross-Curricular Activities Included:
- describes the family crest called a kamon, used by most families in Japan, and includes a space for children to design their own family symbol.
- teaches children how to write the names of colors in Kanji symbols.
- highlights the four main islands and the famous bullet train system.
- is a fill-in-the-blank activity that tells the true story of a young girl who inspired a worldwide peace movement.
- is an 11 x 17 inch poster that illustrates six cultural symbols with colorful photographs.
- features Hanako, the legendary koi that lived to be 226 years old.
Japanese Words and Phrases: (includes phonetic pronunciations)
arigato (thank you),hai (yes), ie(no), kon’nichiwa (hello), nori (seaweed), onegai (please), sakuru (cherry tree), sayonara (goodbye), Senbazuru (1,000 cranes), plus color and number names
Additional Vocabulary Words and Phrases:
archipelago, Asia, bonsai, cultivate, fictional, Hiragana, Kabuki, kamon, Kanji, Katakana, koi, legend, legendary, lifespan, loyalty, matcha, monument, Mount Fuji, Nippon, origami, passport, ritual, sumo, sushi, Torii, verify
- Promoting respect and appreciation for cultural differences
- Identifying national and cultural symbols of Japan
- Learning number words in Japanese
- Writing number words in Japanese Kanji characters
- Learning color names in Japanese
- Writing color names using Kanji symbols
- Reading a map and using a compass rose
- Creating a family Kamon crest
- Using context clues to complete a sentence
- Critical thinking skills of comparing and contrasting
- Building content-area literacy in social studies
- Reading fluency and comprehension
Sample Pages: Please see the preview for sample pages from the bundle. To view additional images, click on the thumbnails listed above.
Technical Info: The resources are in PDF format, combined into a single zip file, and illustrated with original, high-resolution images and/or photographs.
The Christmas Pickle (Surprising Traditions from Around the World)
Countries/Languages Currently Available in the Exploring Our World bundle series:
Brazil (Portuguese), China (Chinese), Egypt (Arabic), France (French), Ghana (Twi), India (Hindi), Israel (Hebrew), Italy (Italian), Japan (Japanese), Kenya (Swahili), Mexico (Spanish), Russia (Russian)
Connect with Let’s Get Real
Visit My Store: Click here to see all of the Let’s Get Real topics and resources. Look for the category list on the left side of the home page.
Facebook: Click here to follow me on the Let’s Get Real Facebook page for weekly posts about teaching strategies and resources.
Pinterest: Click here to check out the Let’s Get Real Pinterest boards for more ways to enrich your teaching themes.
What kinds of resources does Let’s Get Real offer?
Let’s Get Real take-home books and learning center resources focus on content-area literacy, that is, helping children gain the specialized science and social studies vocabulary that enables them to excel in reading fluency and comprehension. In addition, all Let’s Get Real resources are illustrated with realistic, original images and/or photographs.
How can I see what you offer or know when you’ve added new materials?
Click on the star to the right of this description (under my pic) OR click on my store link (above), then click on the star at the top of the page to follow Let’s Get Real. You’ll be the first to know about new materials, sales, and freebies. To view the resources by science/social studies topics, look to the left on the store page, under the heading Custom Categories.
What are TPT credits and how do I get them?
Every time you provide feedback for a purchase, TPT gives you 1 credit for each dollar you’ve spent. After you’ve used (and hopefully loved!) a resource, hover on your picture at the top of the page and open the “My Account” tab. Click on your “My Purchases” category. You should see a list of your purchases with a “Provide Feedback” button for each one. Just click the button and you’ll be taken to a page where you can rate the product and leave a comment for me. You can apply the credits you earn to any future purchases and I always appreciate your positive feedback.
What do I do if I have a question about or problem with a resource?
You can always contact me through the product Q & A tab, located at the bottom of the product description.
Please “share the love” by telling others how much you like Let’s Get Real products; but please don’t share the copyright. Each Let’s Get Real resource—including graphics and illustrations—is copyrighted by Dr. J/Teaching Texas LLC and may not be redistributed, sold, or placed on the internet. This resource is for one teacher-use only. Thank you so much for your support!