Kids explore three examples of personification of Jack Frost in this free sample. A specially designed webpage provides links to a short video on personification and three pieces of related literature: a three-page story, a poem, and an eight-minute video*. The corresponding student sheet asks them to define personification, list human-like tasks Jack Frost performs in each genre, identify character traits Jack Frost has in each, and explain which character type they like best.
Do you want more? Check out the January Independent Learning Module
for eight webpages of snow-related student exploration and related student sheets:
• Informational Text – Primary and Secondary Sources About Snowflake Bentley
• Language – Commonly Confused Words
• Listening – Taking Notes About Snowboarding
• Literature – Personification of Jack Frost
• Math – Symmetry of Snowflakes
• Science – Snowflake Formation
• Social Studies – How People Use Snow
• Writing – How to Build a Snow Fort
Created by master teacher Brenda Kovich
, these activities are classroom-tested and kid-approved. Check out the Independent Learning Module Bundle
, which includes all nine monthly ILMs at a discount price. Click here
to view all of them.
Teachers love ILMs! Read what they’ve had to say:
• To any potential customers, please know that these ILMs are just as perfect as can be for students. They cover a great deal of content in a rigorous way and are highly engaging for the students. I cannot recommend them enough. My students could hardly wait until they got this assignment each month. They actually cheered! As their teacher, I did too!
• I have been using them as an early finisher project for students who finish their writing and reading projects first, but they all love them so much that I have students begging to stay in at recess, at lunch, and at other “self selected” times.
• Added the link to my Google Classroom as an assignment, printed the packet, and we were rockin and rollin!”
Cover clip art for the packet was created by Educlips
*"When Jack Frost Was Young," a short story by Abbie Phillips Walker, was included in Sandman's Goodnight Stories. Published in 1921 by Harper & Brothers, this story is now in the public domain.
*"Jack Frost," a poem written by Gabriel Setoun, was published in 1920. It is now in the public domain.
*"Jack Frost," a short film by Ub Iwerks, was produced in 1934. It has been released to the public domain.