This accompanies the Andrew Jackson DBQ on Indian removal and asks students to question:
Is it Democratic? Do we have a Right?
Students will examine America’s Indian removal policies, including the events leading up to the passage of Andrew Jackson’s Indian Removal Act and the effect this had on Native Americans.
• What were the varying perspectives concerning Native Americans during the beginning years of the European settlement of America?
• In what ways did America’s Indian removal policies evolve throughout the 1800s?
• What political strategies did Andrew Jackson’s administration employ in their quest for Native American land?
• What was the Indian Removal Act of 1830 and how did it affect Native Americans?
• How did the Trail of Tears have an impact on the Cherokee and other Native Americans?
• How did Native Americans such as Junaluska and Tsali react to America’s policies concerning Native Americans?