This product contains document based questions and interactive gallery covering Jacob Riis: How the Other Half Lives.
Google Slide - interactive gallery
- A summary of Jacob Riis and his background
- 3 links to the 3 primary sources
- 3 primary sources
- conditions the children lived in
- life in the tenements
- dead bodies of children
Google Doc: 11 document based questions
- 2 questions on each primary source
- 5 questions more questions
- What details in this excerpt may have shocked readers of the time period
- Why do you think muckrakers sought to shock their audience?
- To whom does the “Other Half” in the title refer?
- Why do you think Riis uses this phrase?
- How do you think Riis’s account might have contributed to social reforms for tenement housing?