This Virginia Studies reading passage teaches students about the Virginia Studies 5 SOL: contributions of Virginians such as James Armistead Lafayette and General Marquis de Lafayette who participated in the Revolutionary War in Virginia. This activity uses 2 songs that can be accessed on YouTube or Teachers Pay Teachers for students to listen to as a part of the activity. This activity also contains an answer key, the song lyrics, and a list of extension activities for expanding student knowledge. It also addresses Virginia Studies SOL .5B - identifying the roles played by Virginians during the American Revolutionary War.
Listen to the song "James Armistead Lafayette" in the preview!
Listen with subtitles on YouTube!
Listen to the song "James and the General Lafayette" on YouTube!
*Use the song lyrics as an American Revolution readers theater activity! Read more below.*
How to use this resource:
- Students will preview the questions on page 1 then listen to the songs on YouTube while following along with the lyrics on pages 2 and 3.
- Students will then answer the questions on page 1. When students are done, they can continue to be engaged by completing the extension activities on page 4.
- The extension activities include an inferencing activity and instructions for students to use the song's instrumental for writing their own songs about James Armistead and General Lafayette.
- Students are encouraged to dramatize the lyrics as an American Revolution readers theater activity in pairs, choosing either James Armistead or General Lafayette as a character.
- The answer key for page 1 is located on page 5.
*Click here to follow our store for updates!*
Get monthly freebies!
Get a custom-made song for free!
You may also like:
Virginia Studies Passages Famous Virginians Bundle with Songs
Black History Reading Comprehension Passages with Questions and Songs Bundle #1
Governor Douglas Wilder Black History Month Passage with Song
Governor Linwood Holton Jr. Famous Virginians Reading Activity with Song
Phillis Wheatley Black History Month Biography Passage with Song
Maggie Walker Black History Month Passage with Song
*Leave a review if you liked our product.*
Copyright © 2017 Rap Opera for Kids. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Images and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.