This is a novel unit for the book "James and the Giant Peach" by Roald Dahl. For each set of chapters, students will complete 4 comprehension questions, 4 vocabulary words, and 1 activity which incorporates reading strategies and writing. The file also includes a folder cover, student bookmarks, a story elements page, a book/movie comparison sheet, a suggested grading rubric, and an answer key.
The book is divided into 13 sections. One page has the questions and vocabulary, and the activity is on the back. Activities are as follows:
1. Chapters 1-2: Spiker vs. Sponge (Compare and Contrast)
2. Chapters 3-5: All About James Henry Trotter (Character traits/emotions/change)
3. Chapters 6-8: That's Just Peachy...(Visualization using text evidence)
4. Chapters 9-12: Dig a Little Deeper (Descriptions using the senses)
5. Chapters 13-15: A Travel Song (Visualization using text evidence)
6. Chapters 16-17: Cause and Effect (Cause and Effect)
7. Chapters 18-19: Here's the Plan... (Extension writing)
8. Chapters 20-22: Diary of a Worm (Point of View)
9. Chapters 23-25: Nature's Helpers (Recalling Text details)
10. Chapters 26-27: How Ya' Feeling (Character emotions)
11. Chapters 28-31: Made You Feel! (Author's purpose)
12. Chapters 32-36: Extra! Extra! (Newspaper Writing)
13. Chapters 37-39: Hi, Old Friend! (Dialogue writing)
This unit gives you lots of flexibility. I have used it with my 3rd graders for the last three years. Below are some suggestions for use:
*Print it all out and staple it into a folder for each student with the cover on front
*It can be modified for slower workers or students that are pulled for part of the day by giving them just the question page or just the activity each day.
*Allow students who have finished all of the work to watch the movie after you complete the book. There is a venn diagram to compare/contrast the book and movie included in this packet.
*This can be completed in about 2 weeks. I generally take a few "catch-up" days and stretch it out to 3 weeks.
Enjoy your adventures with James and his insect friends!