This is the January Packet for 4th Grade (Vol. 1)
Packets includes Common Core standards and Lexile levels!
Close reading comprehension questions modeled after the Common Core standards for 4th grade.
All of the following excerpts, charts, passages and diagrams are associated with either a variety of multiple choice reading comprehension questions, open-response questions, student inquiry, both short and long answer questions or a combination of strategies.
Students will get used to taking complex-question assessments. Use for; weekly assessments, pre-assessment, post-assessment, progress monitoring, and whatever else you have in mind!
Questions involve; close reading, using context clues, inference, poetry elements, plot, characterization, analytical reading, comprehension, reading for meaning, vocabulary and so much more!
*** January Packet Includes 10 exercises! ***
1- Fiction – The Bully Busters (Lexile 1030L)
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, point-of-view, characterization, mood, figurative language, compare/contrast characters
2- Biography – Martin Luther King Jr. (Lexile 1010L)
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, learning about an influential figure
- PLUS – Extra activity - Nonfiction elements (main idea/support)
3- Nonfiction – Interpreting Maps (Washington D.C. Metro Map)
4- Nonfiction – Interpreting Maps (London Tube Map)
5- Interpreting Maps (both compare/contrast)
- Key Elements (all map activities) – Compare/contrast, map features, understanding maps, giving directions
6- Biography – Nelson Mandela (Lexile: 940L)
- Key Elements: Close Read, deciphering meaning, learning about an influential figure
- PLUS – Extra activity – Construct a timeline
7- Nonfiction – Times Square New Year’s Eve Ball (Lexile: 920L)
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, illustrations, text structure
- PLUS – Extra activity – Design your own New Year’s Eve Ball
8- Nonfiction – Constellations (Lexile: 890L)
- Key Elements: Close Read, diagrams, defining terms, figurative language, main idea
9- Poetry – Fog (Lexile: 710L)
- Key Elements: Poetic Elements, figurative language, writing poetry
- PLUS – Extra activity – Be a Poet (write your own poem)
10- Fiction – Starring Jules in Drama Rama (Lexile: 730L)
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, inference, characterizations, descriptions
- PLUS – Extra activity – Looking at Plot
***PLEASE NOTE: This packet is VERY SIMILAR to the January 5th Grade Packet. Packets are posted separately for teacher convenience.
Resources/Literature/Answer Key Included
CCSS/Lexile levels Included!
*I truly value your feedback*
You may also like:
February's 4th Grade Packet
Any questions or concerns, firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great year!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2015 Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format. No part of this product may be POSTED ON WEBSITES EITHER PERSONAL, EDUCATIONAL OR OTHERWISE. This is in direct violation of copyright.