Included are all of the activities that you will need for six centers to reinforce “Jan’s New Home.” There are also many printables that can be used for review sheets, morning work, and fun activities Common Core Standards are listed for the Language Arts and Math activities. There are High-Frequency Word Cards and Amazing Word Cards that can be used for display or teaching tools. This is a great supplement to use with your 2008 Reading Street Curriculum.
Spelling Center – Rainbow write spelling words/ Use letter tiles to spell the words/ Find the correct frame for each spelling word/ Write spelling words in ABC order/ Word Search for spelling words/ Choose your favorite spelling word/ Write a sentence and draw a picture
High-Frequency Word Center –Use cards with the high-frequency words as flashcards/ Use play-doe to spell each word/Use letter stamps to spell each word/Write sentences with words/ Sort words by number of syllables
Phonics Center – Use a magnifying glass and search for words and then write the words/ Phonics Sort or and ore words Write the words on the recording sheet.
Listening Center – After listening to “Jan’s New Home” answer questions about the story. Questions are included that review the comprehension skills for the week.
Writing Center – Read and trace a sentence. Write the sentence. Draw a picture of the sentence. Then cut out the words and glue them in the correct order. / Write sentences with spelling words
Vocabulary Center- Match Amazing Words to their picture and definition. Choose two words, write the definition, write a sentence, draw a picture
(1) Color a mouse correctly by reading words with -es
(2) Add to find spelling words.
(3) Color a hundred's chart to find a high-frequency word
(4) Roll the dice to practice writing spelling words.
(5) Write the correct word to finish the sentence.
(6) Find the number that comes next when counting by ones. Write the number and find High-Frequency Words.
(7) Read “At the Shore”. Highlight or and ore words and then write the words.
(8) Read “Boxes for Flo”. Highlight words with ending -es and write the words.
(9) Read “Morning Chores”/ answer questions and illustrate the story
Highlight the verb in each sentence,/write the verb
Draw to illustrate the verb
Write the contractions
Write the compound words