January Packet for 5th Grade!
Packets include Common Core standards and Lexile levels for all passages**
All of the following excerpts, charts, passages and diagrams are associated with either a variety of multiple choice reading comprehension questions, open-response questions, student inquiry, both short and long answer questions or a combination of strategies.
Students will get used to taking complex-question assessments. Use for; weekly assessments, pre-assessment, post-assessment, progress monitoring, and whatever else you have in mind!
Questions involve; close reading, using context clues, inference, poetry elements, plot, characterization, analytical reading, comprehension, reading for meaning, vocabulary and so much more!
January Packet Includes:
1- Fiction – The Bully Busters
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, point-of-view, characterization, mood, figurative language, compare/contrast characters
2- Biography – Martin Luther King Jr.
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, learning about an influential figure
- PLUS – Extra activity - Nonfiction elements (main idea/support)
3- Nonfiction – Interpreting Maps (Washington D.C. Metro Map)
4- Nonfiction – Interpreting Maps (London Tube Map)
5- Nonfiction – Interpreting Maps (both compare/contrast)
- Key Elements (all map activities) – Compare/contrast, map features, understanding maps, giving directions
6- Biography – Nelson Mandela
- Key Elements: Close Read, deciphering meaning, learning about an influential figure
- PLUS – Extra activity – Construct a timeline
7- Nonfiction – Times Square New Year’s Eve Ball
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, illustrations, text structure
- PLUS – Extra activity – Design your own New Year’s Eve Ball
8- Nonfiction –Constellations
- Key Elements: Close Read, diagrams, defining terms, figurative language, main idea
9- Poetry – Fog
- Key Elements: Poetic Elements, figurative language, writing poetry
- PLUS – Extra activity – Be a Poet (write your own poem)
10 - Fiction – Starring Jules in Drama Rama
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, inference, characterizations, descriptions
- PLUS – Extra activity – Looking at Plot
****PLEASE NOTE: Because Common Core groups 4th/5th grade similarly, this packet is extremely similar to the 4th grade packet! (Same passages with MOSTLY same questions). The concepts and ideas are the same for all students to master!
Resources/Literature/Answer Key Included. CCSS and Lexile levels located on answer key!
*I truly value your feedback*
Any questions or concerns, firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great year!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2015 Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format.