Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Introduce students in grades 3 through 8 to Japan!
JAPAN! A Country Study Grades 3 – 8 (56 pages total, not including instructions for user) is a comprehensive booklet all about Japan, from its ancient history to its festivals to everyday life and religion to fun, modern facts! Everything is provided in templates ready to be printed!
There is NO PREP.
To tailor to your needs, we have two options you can choose from:
1. The COMPLETED VERSION (31 pages) offers students a booklet loaded with information, perfect for students who have had no exposure to Japan. Simply print double sided (there are 5 sheets of copy paper needed per booklet), fold, and provide each student with a copy. There are 18 topics covered, one per half page, that students can read. Then, they may take a quiz with 55 questions testing their comprehension. A separate crossword puzzle just covering the history of Japan is also included.
2. The FILL IN THE BLANKS VERSION (25 pages) is perfect for the students who have already had a lesson introducing them to Japan, or even for ones who want to research on the Internet or other sources as they complete. Again, simply print double sided (there are 5 sheets of copy paper needed per booklet), fold, and provide each student with a copy. There are 18 topics covered, one per half page, with blanks interspersed throughout lessons for students to complete. A crossword puzzle on the history of Japan is included within the booklet.
For both, there is a blank map of Japan in the booklet to be completed with your guidance. We have included a short lesson with images of each step of the map as it is filled in.
Keys for both versions are also included. There are also coloring page opportunities within the booklet. We recommend colored pencils for this (markers may bleed through).
The mini booklets are organized as follows:
Table of Contents, with a page for each of the following topics:
1. A Map of Japan - to be completed with your guidance (lesson included)
2. Where is Japan?
3. The History of Japan
4. The Samurai
5. The Geisha
6. Buddhism and Karma
8. Visiting a Shinto Shrine
9. Charms of Good Fortune
10. Kodomo no Hi, or Children’s Day
11. Hanami, the Cherry Blossom Festival
13. A Day in the Life
14. Eating in Japan
18. Hokusai (A Supplement)
WE HAVE A COUNTRY STUDY AVAILABLE FOR YOUNGER GRADES, TOO, THAT IS PERFECT FOR GRADES K THROUGH 3! Notice there is some overlap for grade 3. Both of these versions allow you to choose between a simple or more detailed option for grade 3.
GET THIS IN A BUNDLE!
THIS LESSON IS PART OF AN INTRODUCTION TO JAPAN BUNDLE! Get three lessons in one, all on Japan! Lessons include a country study, a lesson about the samurai in feudal Japan, and a look at Kodomo no Hi (Children's Day)!
TAKE A LOOK AT OUR OTHER INDIVIDUAL LESSONS ON JAPAN!
TESTIMONIALS ABOUT OUR PRODUCTS
"In my nearly 30-year career in education, I have never seen children so engaged in their learning! International Travel Academy is truly a multi-disciplinary approach that enables children to explore the world in an unforgettable way. Students get a real sense of what it means to respect another country's heritage, beliefs and ways of living, thus making them more tolerant and internationally-minded. I highly recommend this program to educators and parents wishing to make learning come to life!"
– A Former Assistant Superintendent at Atlanta Public Schools
“(The five-day program) has given our school the unique opportunity to provide students with incredible experiences that align so well with our IB focus. Each spring with family and community support, our school essentially is transformed into our country of study for one full week. Teachers are easily able to follow the daily curriculum and activities provided, and the students truly enjoy this special week of instruction. From the art projects to festive food tastings, cultural dress, music, dance and traditions, the students spend this entire week engaged in new and exciting experiences of a new country. I would encourage all schools (IB, or not) to jump in and make a week like this happen for their students. It is incredibly gratifying to spend this week with kids as they come together to learn and share experiences like these across grade levels, school-wide. When we hear such rich discussion in classrooms and read their detailed writing about what they've learned as part of (the) week, it makes all the preparation, planning and expense totally worth it!! “
– An International Baccalaureate Instructional Specialist at a local elementary school
Our lessons have been tried and tested for the past seven years. But, as we are new to TPT, we would love to get feedback from you! Please email us! Our personal emails are included in the lesson.
HOW TO GET TPT CREDIT ON FUTURE PURCHASES
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
This product is for personal classroom use by a single teacher. If you would like to copy this product for more than one teacher, please download additional licenses, available at 10% off the original price!
You cannot give this item to others, copy this item for use by others, post this item on a website, or copy or modify any part of this document to offer others for free or for sale.
Please feel free to use as needed for your personal use, for your classroom, or to copy for your students. Of course, you may always purchase unlimited licenses for others to use at 10% off the original price.
From My Cool World