Introduction to Katakana through Discovery!
Very Unique Approach!!
How do you plan to introduce Katakana to your class?
How about trying this fun Katakana Discovery activity as your introductory lesson.
Students will become familiar with the shape of 46 Katakana characters by discovering the Katakana components hidden inside each Kanji.
Inside each Kanji?
YES! Search the shape of Katakana in original Kanji, Katakana were made from!!
As they find the Katakana shapes hidden in original Kanji, they will also learn how Katana was made out of Kanji.
With a lot of fun and discovery, students will be highly engaged with this fun activity.
This resource comes with:
(1) Katakana Chart (for search activity)
(2) Katakana Discovery Game Activity Sheet
(List of Kanji Origins of Katakana with outlined letters )
(3) List of Kanji Origins of Katakana with Answer Key
(Katakana components are indicated in red for each Kanji character in the list.)
Please give (1) and (2) to the students for the activity.
(3) is for answer check.
It is recommended to check answers during class to facilitate discussion.
(1) Students learn the shape of all 46 Katakana characters in a fun way.
(2) Students learn the fact that Katakana was made out of Kanji.
(3) Students get familiar with Kanji by looking at it by the shape.
This material is good for Japanese language learners at all levels.
Advanced learners can fully enjoy this activity as well.
This material is also great handout to give to a class substitute teacher.
There is one more Katakana introductory activity in my products.
Please take a look.
Katakana Search Game