Activate your students' creativity by having them design Japanese Noh hand fans. Whether you want to reinforce the literary element of symbolism or extend your lesson on Eastern Theatre, this activity will be sure to spark their imagination!
1. Activate their prior knowledge of symbolism through a discussion.
2. Have your pupils complete the chart to help them differentiate between concrete and abstract ideas and objects.
3. Then the students can brainstorm symbols that represent themes that meaningful to them.
4. Students can then design and color their symbols on accordion style folded construction paper or use the enclosed template for the palm leaf style fan.
5. Once completed, students can glue their popsicle stick and begin using their hand fan prop.
Teachers can use the rubric to aid in grading this project.