A one-two lesson set of factsheets, worksheet and poster which I've used before launching into a Year 8 Australian Curriculum History unit on Shogunate Japan.
It could be used as an orientation for any study of Japan, such as geography, and is orientated towards middle school or older students.
If you are new to teaching Japanese or Japanese history, you may find this a useful guide for pronounciation and writing systems.
* Factsheet on Japanese pronounciation (including common mistakes) (2 pages)
* Factsheet on the four Japanese writing systems (Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana, Romaji) (1 page)
* Activity on writing your name in Japanese (katakana) (1 page)
* Worksheet on reading / writing in Katakana, including first names and loan words (1 page)
* Katakana chart printable or poster (1 page)
* Answer sheet for worksheet (1 page)
Japanese Pronounciation, Writing and Reading Katakana by Duffy Stirling is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Duffy-Stirling.
For more information: http://duffystirling.wordpress.com or contact email@example.com
A SHORT DISCLAIMER:
I lived in Japan for two years and studied Japanese while I was there; however my knowledge is not particularly comprehensive and it has been several years since I was there!
If you identify any mistakes please notify me immediately. Thankyou