Students can sing 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' in Japanese in the first class!
The familiar tune makes this song easy to sing in Japanese.
This material is good for Japanese language beginners.
I saw many shy students willingly sing this song without difficulty.
I encourage you to introduce this song in your first Japanese class as an ice-breaker tool.
Goals: Learn how to say 'Sheep' in Japanese. 'Hitsuji.'
Learn basic grammar, 'possessive' :「の」’NO’
Learn a honorific suffix added after one's name:「さん」’SAN’
Give students the confidence and courage to speak/sing in Japanese
Step by Step - How to use this material :
First time - Introduction
1) The teacher slowly pronounces each word as she/he points to the pictures one by one.
First, point to the girl and say 'Mary san'.
Second, point to the lamb and say 'Hi-Tsu-Ji'.
Then, say 'Kawaii' by pointing to the hearts around the picture.
2) Then, say the full phrase 'Mary san no Hitsuji, Kawaii na' by pointing to Mary and the lamb, and the hearts.
3) The teacher lets the students repeat the phrase at the same slow speed.
4) Now, the teacher slowly sings the full song once.
5) Immediately continue singing the song again, but this time let the students join you.
6) After the second round, immediately continue to the third round, letting the students sing by themselves along to your gestures. Check the students carefully to see who is not singing.
7) Fourth round, sing in the loudest voice together, as you watch over the shy students with a warm encouraging smile.
8) Please be sure to praise the performance vigorously in Japanese. (Sugoi! Yatta! Jyo-zu! Subarashii! etc.) and congratulate them on being able to sing a song in Japanese already in the first class.
Second time and thereafter
1) The teacher shows the picture, as she/he sings the full song.
(This will be a reminder about pronunciation.)
2) Once the students are ready, say 'San, Hai!!', then let them sing it one time.
3) For the second round, ask them to sing in the voice of Ants (Ari san). They sing it quietly.
4) For the third round, ask them to sing in the voice of Elephants (Zou san). They sing it loudly. This leads to a happy ending.
Please bring a lot of smiles to your class with this activity and have fun yourself, too!