Jelly Bean Bingo or BEANO using first 220 Dolch sight words
1. Cut the Word List pages into 25 small squares.
2. Shuffle the squares or put them in jar.
3. Distribute BEANO boards. There are six different boards per Word List page.
4. Have students use jelly beans to mark called words.
5. Call out one word one at a time until a BEANO winner.
6. Five in a row—vertically, horizontally, or diagonally wins.
BEANO utilizes the first 220 words of the Dolch sight word list. The Dolch sight word list is 220 of the most frequently used words. The first 25 words are typically for Kindergartners. The next 100 are usually for first graders. The remaining 100 are for second graders. Many of these words cannot be sounded out and therefore must be memorized. In addition, these are words that students must be able to read and write quickly.
This in class or at home game supports classroom learning by practicing these high frequency sight words.