“income tax…ohh that is hard. That is for people who have gone to college. Kids could never do that!” That is rubbish! This lesson plan guides the students and teachers through the tax form typical of a high school graduate with his or her first job. This lesson plan requires no knowledge on the part of the teacher. Please trust me on this.
Upon graduating from high School, Jennifer Ortega went to work at Woodmart. She works full time and makes $9.00/ hr. She has worked a full year and has had health insurance all year.
At the end of the year Walmart sends Jennifer a W-2. This form has everything Jennifer needs to complete her taxes. How much money did she make? How much was withheld?
This exercise for students is a simplification from the actual 1040EZ. But our objective as educators is often to simplify! And the complications that might arise within the IRS 1040EZ form genuinely do not apply to Ms. Ortega!
The learning objective is to present this critical part of our society to students without scaring them.
The students will be refreshed by the obvious relevance.
You can do this and your students can do this. Please take a chance and trust me.
The download contains
• Student exercise 1040 EZ for Jennifer This is only the front of one page. The IRS has is designed it for young adults with no children.
• INFORMATION 1040EZ. This is to be copied on the back of the above page, one for each student. It contains all the information to complete the form.
• PRINT ME NOW. This includes a section “DO THIS NOW” and a section “HOW WILL THIS WORK”?
• ANSWERS Jennifer’s 1040EZ
• Detailed notes for the teacher. These notes allow the teacher to walk the kids through the 1040a.
• Many educational slides for the use of the teacher. They would be used as overheads. The thumbnails are examples but the download has many more.
• A copy of the little video used for a preview.