“income tax…ohh …. that is hard. That is for people who have gone to college. Kids could never do that!” That is rubbish!
This lesson plan guides the students and teachers through the tax form typical of a young parent. A parent receives considerable tax benefits and the students should know this! This lesson plan requires no knowledge on the part of the teacher. Please trust me on this.
As an example, we will use Jennifer Ortega and her daughter Marcia. She has been working at WoodMart for four years and makes $13.75/ hour. Her hours are irregular, but she works about 40 hours a week. Her Mom watches her daughter while Jennifer is at work.
At the end of the year Woodmart sends Jennifer a W-2. This form has everything Jennifer needs to complete her taxes. How much money did she make? How much was withheld?
This exercise for students is a simplification from the actual 1040A. Our objective as educators is often to simplify! But the complications that might arise within the IRS 1040A form genuinely do not apply to Ms. Ortega!
The learning objective is to present this critical part of our society to students without scaring them.
The students will be refreshed by the obvious relevance.
You can do this and your students can do this. Please take a chance and trust me.
The download contains
Exercise for the students. Copy this page one- front and page two back; one for each student
• The 1040A complete. (this is a simplification. We are teachers, not tax preparers)
Information for students. Copy this also page one-front and page two-back. You need a set for each class.
• “Jennifer works at WoodMart and has a baby.” The information to complete the 1040A is on this page. This is for both the teacher and for the students. It includes Jennifer’s W-2 from WoodMart and a copy of a personal check. (she needs a routing number for her refund)
• The worksheets for the child tax credit and the Earned Income Credit. (again, these are simplified and both on one sheet.)
For the teacher
• PRINT ME NOW . Detailed notes for the teacher. These notes allow the teacher to walk the kids through the 1040a.
• Many educational slides for the use of the teacher. They would be used as overheads. The thumbnails are examples but the download has many more.
• A copy of the little video used for a preview.
• Enrichment supplemental .. this has ideas to expand this lesson plan. There are students that will be fascinated by this and you will be prepared for them.