The Jingle Dance is a traditional First Nation dance originating in the Great Lakes region of Canada and the United States - by the Ojibway (Ojibwe) peoples.
This product was created with the Ontario Grade 2 Social Studies Curriculum in mind (Changing Family and Community Traditions; Global Communities). It also fulfils the Exploring Forms and Cultural Contexts section of the Dance curriculum.
** Includes pages for both American and Canadian spellings!
It was designed to be used alongside the Cynthia Leitich Smith picture book and supplementary resources (such as YouTube and interviews with FNMI community resources).
- links to view jingle dances
- writing prompts about the jingle dance and traditions
- writing prompts and reading responses for "Jingle Dancer"
- activities with the Medicine Wheel and the significance of 4
- math word problem (division) about jingle dresses
- recipe for fry bread
- word wall words
- choice of 3 cover pages for students
Writing pages include two versions:
- writing prompts with plain lines
- trace-the-letters sentence starters on primary printing lines
Targeted Reading Strategies:
- make connections
Remember to give feedback and earn TPT points!
Key Words: Aboriginal, First Nation, Indian, Native American, Tradition, Traditional, Jingle Dance, Dance, Ojibway, Ojibwe, Culture, Medicine Wheel, Regalia, Global Communities, Great Lakes, Oklahoma, Realistic Fiction, Powwow, Pow Wow
Integrate the Grade 2 Global Communities curriculum with Music using my Global Communities Integrated Activity!