The following is a common core-based lesson on the foreign policy of John F. Kennedy. The worksheet contains a variety of activities designed to foster active learning. The lesson includes:
• A do now that briefly focuses on the presidential election of 1850 – brief secondary source readings with questions that follow.
• Various opportunities for class discussion
• “Rate JFK’s Foreign Policy” activity – in small groups, students analyze several major foreign policy decisions of President Kennedy by reading secondary sources. They will then come to a consensus in their group and grade the decision.
• During the “Rate the President Activity,” there is an additional Cuban Missile Crisis Activity where students weigh the pros and cons of possible responses to the challenges faced by JFK
• Finally, students will write a brief paragraph analyzing the success or failure of JFK’s foreign policy.
This lesson can be easily modified to fit a shorter or longer class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have. Please take the time to rate this worksheet. Thanks!