9 PRINTABLES with ANSWER KEYS
1. Johnny Appleseed: This is a 2 page reading on the true life story of John Chapman better known as Johnny Appleseed.
2. Vocabulary Exercises (3 pages): Matching/ Fill In the Blanks/ and Correct the Sentences. These vocabulary exercises include words like pioneers, legend, survive, settlers, orchard, unusual, provide, sustain, expansion etc.
3. Sequence Strip Story: Students will cut apart the strips, put them in order and then paste them on a separate piece of paper. This may be challenging for some students. At first I let my students struggle for a few minutes and then I tell them that they can use the reading to help them. It is also beneficial to have them work together in pairs for this activity. The more advanced students can help the ones that need more help.
4. Apples “Fact or Opinion”: Students will read the 12 statements about apples. They will write F if the statement if a fact. They will write O if the statement is an opinion.
5. Making Information Question: WH Question Words
Students will make information questions using the WH Question Words (who, what, what kind of, where, when, why, how, how many etc.) Students will first read the answer to the question. The underlined word in the sentence will indicated which WH question word the students will need to use to write the correct question.
Johnny Appleseed is a famous American folk hero.
Students need to write the question “Who is Johnny Appleseed?”
5. Scrambled Words: Students will unscramble the words from the story.
Graphics provided by: