** THIS RESOURCE IS PART OF THE 1st GRADE HOUGHTON MIFFLIN READING SERIES - THEME 8: JOHNNY APPLESEED – WEEK 3.***
Trying to figure out how to aligned your old Houghton Mifflin curriculum to the Common Core Standards? Then this is resource is PERFECT for YOU!
I created this resource out of my own need to align my ELA curriculum to the Common Core Standards. This resource is PACKED with many fun activities, graphic organizers, games, Daily Literacy activities, and blackline masters for the graphic organizers used.
Worksheets are Common Core aligned with standards listed on the first pages of the file. Every story has an opinion writing activity at the end as well as a connection to the text (text to text, text to self, text to world). Each story also has a sequencing activity.
There are worksheets that require students to answer questions by citing the evidence from the text. I also added Depth and Complexity icons on worksheets for higher level learning.
Please download the preview for an overview of the unit and full page previews.
Week 3 Stories:
-Focus wall Labels
- Vocabulary Word and Picture Cards CCSS RF1.4
-Story High Frequency Word (HFW) Cards CCSS RF2.4
-Vocabulary Word Tree Map Activity CCSS RF1.4
-Comprehension Skill Graphic Organizer
-Phonics Skills Graphic Organizers CCSS RF2.3a,e
-Phonics Focus: Read, Find, and Color Activity
-Phonics Focus: Write and Match Activity CCSS RF1.2c
- High Frequency Word Spinner CCSS RF2.4
-High Frequency Word Practice and Trace CCSS RF2.4
-High Frequency Word Guess My Word CCSS RF2.4
- Grammar and Word Skills
-Making Connections: Connecting Text to Text,
Text to World, and Text to Self
-Story Sequencing Activity and Thinking Map CCSS RL1.3
-Opinion Writing Activity CCSS W1.1
- Teacher “Cheat Sheets”
-Skip and Scan (Differentiated) CCSS RL1.2
- Describing Our Character Bubble Map (Differentiated)
With and Without Text Dependent Page #s. CCSS RL1.7
- Words to Know Cards CCSS L1.4
- Predict /Infer CCSS RL1.1, RL1.3
- Drawing Conclusions: Is Paul Bunyan Real? CCSS RL1.3
- What Do You Think? Predict/Infer CCSS RI1.7
- Drawing Conclusions: Johnny Appleseed CCSS RL1.2
- Skip and Scan (Differentiated) CCSS RL1.2
- In the End: Base endings CCSS L1.4C
- Action Words: Making It Better CCSS L1.5D
- Opinion Writing: In my opinion, being 20 feet tall would be … CCSS W1.1
- Opinion Writing: In my opinion, Johnny Appleseed is a _________ person because…. W1.1
- Blackline masters for graphic organizers
**Please download the preview for full page samples
I hope that this resource will make your school year so much easier the way it has for my colleagues and me.
** This resource is in no way affiliated or endorsed by The Daily 5 and/or the 2 Sisters. Activities in this unit are suggested activities that can be used as part of The Daily 5 program. Purchasing The Daily 5 book is suggested.
Need other stories in this theme?
Theme 8: Week 1: The Forest
Theme 8: Week 2: Butterfly
Need other 1st grade themes?
Theme 1: All Together Now
Theme 2: Surprise!
Theme 3: Let’s Look Around!
Theme 4: Family and Friends
Theme 5: Home Sweet Home
Theme 6: Animal Adventures
Theme 7: We Can Work It Out!
Theme 8: Our Earth
Theme 9: Special Friends
****Save BIG with BUNDLES!!!****
Bundle for Themes 1-5