The legend of Johnny Appleseed and everything about apples for children in kindergarten and first grade. This packet contains a colorful and concise non-fiction story about Johnny Appleseed, informational text about apples, and unique craftivities.
Although Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman) was real, many of the stories connected to him are myths. In the anchor text I wrote about him, I tried to be as close to reality as possible without taking away some fun parts which the children enjoy.
You can use this in the reading/literacy center, as a read aloud, or for group reading (first grade). It is also appropriate for a great (hi)story sequence activity.
You can print it or read on your laptop, smartboard, or Ipad in class.
What's included in detail:
- A nonfiction story about Johnny Appleseed
- Informational text/story about apples
- Apple and apple tree life cycles - Cut and paste activities and worksheets
- Two posters (Parts of an apple, apple tree life cycle)
- Unique templates for a Johnny Appleseed craftivity and an apple tree life
- Graphic organizers for Johnny Appleseed and relevant key historical characters as
well as for apples and apple trees
- Common Core ELA and math worksheets (writing and coloring)
- Geography activity - Places Johnny Appleseed has been on the map (coloring)
- About the letter A, a (tracing&writing)
The non-fiction story and informational text are in color while the craftivities' templates and worksheets are black and white.
The story is linked to the following Kindergarten common core standards:
The craftivities are linked to the following Kindergarten common core standards:
For questions or suggestions go to "Ask a question" tab next to "Ratings&Comments"!
Hope you will enjoy this in class or at home!
P.S. Stay in touch! :)
Facebook page: The Constant Kindergartener