Joining a group may be easy for some kids, but for others it can be super tricky and uncomfortable! Use these 17 role play cards for lessons with an entire class, and then later on for small groups of students who need additional practice. This product also contains a slide with the steps for joining a group that you can put on the Smart Board for students to use as reference while they go through role plays.
These role plays go well with many Second Step lessons!
The preview shows 4 basic role plays. Other role plays in this file contain a variety of more in depth situations for children to practice.
Steps I teach children for joining a group:
1. Look for a group of kids who appear friendly and are doing something you might enjoy.
2. Stand near the group to show you are interested. Put on your friendly face!
3. Listen for a pause before you speak – don’t interrupt!
4. Ask questions or make comments about what they are doing.
5. Ask politely to join in. If they say no, try steps 3, 4, and 5 again. If that doesn’t work try another group.