Joseph Had a Little Overcoat is a GREAT children's book, and winner of the 2000 Caldecott Medal. The book follows Joseph as he “upcycles” his overcoat into new garments. This literature unit is filled with six different follow-up activities to target literacy skills, expressive and receptive language, and listening comprehension! Following reading, engage your students in activities targeting:
1. Sequencing/Retelling with pictures
2. Comprehension questions with two (picture) answer choices
3. Joseph’s Book Hunt- A game targeting functions and attributes
4. Rhyme Sort- Sort pictures by rhyme
5. Phoneme Manipulation- Move sounds to make new words
6. Following Directions craft with an overcoat template
Not only will your students LOVE this cute story, they'll also have fun with these follow-up activities targeting language, listening and literacy!