This is a Journalism Advisor Tool Kit
Are you a new journalism adviser looking for some resources? Or a seasoned adviser looing to add some new tools for your classroom? If so, this is the resource for you! This kit includes everything you’ll need to get a program up and running for the production elements a journalism program (including print, online, and broadcast).
1. Article assignment: A form students can use to request story ideas
2. Article rubrics: 5 Journalism Education-aligned rubrics for news, feature, opinion/editorial, arts reviews, and sports stories.
3. Broadcast: A broadcast planning guide including script template, story board, editing logs, and guided planning questions.
4. Consent forms: Interview consent forms for broadcast, print, and photography.
5. Equipment sign out: camera and video recording equipment sign out template
6. Graphics Editor: Graphics Editor assignment sheet
7. Layout Editor: Tips, How-tos, Checklists, and thumbnail directions
8. Newspaper Assignment: a detailed newspaper article assignment
9. Online Editor: How to upload to Student Newspapers Online, Checklists, & Tips,
10. Photo Editor: Photo Editor assignment sheet and checklist
11. Portfolio: A detailed year-long portfolio assignment
12. Press Passes: Press pass templates for general staff, social media, and photographers
13. Staff Application: A sample staff application (fully editable)
14. Staff jobs and rubrics: Includes sample staff job language for every job on a newspaper staff. There are coordinating editable rubrics for each job.
15. Staff jobs training: There is an editable training guide for each staff job.
16. Story Planning Guides: There are 6 fully editable story planning guides for each genre. Includes 6 updated PDF planning guides for each genre.
17. Writing Conference Tools: Includes 4-step peer and self editing tools, a Powerpoint on guided self-editing, multi-media peer and self editing, six traits peer and self editing, and writing conference rubric.