This is a detailed plan for an entire semester of Journalism I. Includes objectives and ideas for activities and assessments and ideas for advanced levels.
Units based on the following 15 objectives:
1. Students will be able to (SWBAT) understand what journalism is, why it exists, and what journalists are supposed to stand for.
2. SWBAT identify and explain the different media of journalism, how they function, and what their purpose is.
3. SWBAT understand the role of journalism in the world and see its effect and impact on major world events.
4. SWBAT understand the legal and ethical implications of publishing, as well as understand and adhere to the Code of Ethics in their own work.
5. SWBAT conduct appropriate research and evaluate and verify their sources.
6. SWBAT properly conduct meaningful interviews and use the information gathered to expand their research.
7. SWBAT synthesize information received through research and interviews into cohesive, well written, and well-organized articles.
8. SWBAT understand and properly employ writing strategies, rhetorical devices, and organization in writing their articles.
9. SWBAT work within a set writing process, follow certain writing guidelines and adhere to concrete deadlines.
10. SWBAT properly edit and proofread articles using established formatting techniques, stylistic rules and proofreading marks.
11. SWBAT produce several different types of articles, including exposés, editorials, reviews, and human-interest stories.
12. SWBAT understand the elements of photography and use them to produce powerful photographic essays.
13. SWBAT create their own Internet newspaper and use blogging as a publishing tool.
14. SWBAT prepare and deliver several broadcast journalism pieces.
15. SWBAT work together and use computer layout software to produce the school newspaper on a periodical basis.
**As always, if you have any questions about this product, please feel free to contact me :)