Journalism: SLANTED ANALYZING & WRITING THE NEWS
In order for Middle School and High School students to become credible journalists who produce effective news stories, they must learn how to ferret out reliable sources and facts for their stories. Also, to make their articles accurate and trustworthy they must learn how to determine Slant and to evaluate when it is appropriate to use and when it isn’t.
With Slanted, students will learn:
1. What Slant is
2. How and when to use Slant
3. To identify Slant in Leads, articles and Headlines
4. To compare and contrast Conservative, Moderate and Liberal perspectives generally, as well as on contemporary issues in class discussions and in individual writing
To compose a factual News story by
1. maintaining a neutral perspective in the piece
2. finding credible research sites
3. choosing details that develop the basic facts
4. locating trustworthy and dependable sources to interview and quote
not inserting his/her opinion
5. following set guidelines regarding content and mechanics.
Class discussion topics are:
1. Slant: What it is and how it is used in journalism, and
2. The basic tenets of Conservative, Moderate and Liberal societal and political principles.
Activities to enable students to recognize and grasp the often subtle examples of Slant and the nuances of an article's Angle, include:
1. What’s My Slant
2. Prompting Perspective With Leading Leads
3. Heads-Up!, and
4. News Neutrality
A page of Who, What, When and How Teacher Notes is on page 2, a News Neutrality Grading Rubric is on page 13, and an Answer Key for the activities can be found on page 14.
With this packet, students will understand when Slant is appropriate and when it isn't acceptable in journalistic writing.
For other journalism lessons and activities check out
Journalism: Analyzing Newspaper Leads and Articles Worksheets
Journalism - Mapping the Story: WHAT'S THE BUZZ?
Journalism Grades 6-12
Enjoy a Teach It Now Day Every Day,
For an automatic Heads-Up! email about Updated and New products, and also for Sales and other promotions, please click on the Follow Me star under my Store name, Connie.