Students can take an educational "journey" through Holy Week with this set of 14 picture/word and Bible verse cards that teach important events and symbols of Holy Week, from Palm Sunday and Maundy Thursday to Good Friday and Easter Sunday! Each picture includes simple word labels with a corresponding card that lists a Bible passage reference to look up and read, as well as key verses from the passage. These cards are multi-purpose and can be used for different activities and lessons based on your students' needs, age levels, and reading abilities. A page of activity ideas (see suggestions below) is included with this resource, including suggestions for adapting activities for younger or older students or for use in multi-age settings.
The 14 picture/word cards in this resource are: donkey colt, palm branch, cleanse the temple, silver coins betrayal, wash feet, bread and wine, prayer in the garden, sword, rooster, crown of thorns, cross, temple veil torn, sealed tomb, empty tomb: Jesus is risen!
Activity Ideas for this product:
• Bible Storytelling/Timeline Cards: Print the cards out and use them in large group instruction to introduce the events and symbols of Holy Week. You can pick out a card or two each day to introduce to the class, reading the Bible accounts. You can display each card on the wall as a timeline of Holy Week events, building up to Easter Sunday. You can use the picture cards to help students retell the events as well.
• Word & Bible Verse Scavenger Hunt: Print and cut out the cards, keeping the pictures and corresponding bible verses together. Post the cards in various locations around the room. Make copies of the recording sheets (last pages in document) for each student. Each student needs a recording sheet, clipboard, and pencil. Following the order of numbers on the sheet and cards, students search around the room for the cards, writing the words (ex: donkey) in the first column and Bible references (ex: Luke 19:28-35) on the second column on their sheet. Depending on the age/abilities of your students, you can have the students look up and read the verses independently during or after the hunt, have the teacher read the verses to the students as a class, or have students bring the worksheet home to have their families read with them. Older student helpers or parent volunteers could also assist younger students in reading the verses – great for multi-age classrooms and Easter parties!
• Picture & Bible Verse Memory Match Game: Print and cut out the cards, separating the picture cards from the Bible verse cards. Students or teachers can read a Bible verse card and then find the picture/word card that matches that Bible verse. This activity can be adjusted to your students’ levels and abilities. For younger students, you can hand individual students or partners a picture card and have them stand up if they hear the matching Bible verse read aloud by the teacher. Older students can work in pairs to read the verses and sort the picture cards to the correct Bible verse cards. You could also use the cards to play “Memory/Concentration” and have students take turns flipping cards over and determining if the cards match (matching pictures to Bible verses).
• Writing Center Cards: Print and cut out the cards and place them in your writing center for students to use for Holy Week themed writing projects. The picture and word cards can help younger students draw and write words, while the Bible verse cards can help older students recall more challenging words and details from the Bible stories.
• Keepsake Cards: Make copies of the cards for each student. Cut out the cards, keeping the pictures and Bible verses attached. Fold each in half so that the picture is on one side and the Bible verse is on the other, and tape edges together. Students now have their own cards to keep and use to read and study the Bible accounts of Holy Week or practice memorizing key verses!
For Lent & Easter themed math resources, check out my Hundred Chart Mystery Pictures:
Bundle of 7 Easter and Good Friday Hundred Chart Mystery Pictures with Bible Clues
Palm Sunday Hundred Chart Mystery Pictures with Bible Clues