Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade. Upon opening the zip file, simply select the lesson that matches the publication year of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 1 (Because of Winn Dixie). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
CLICK HEREfor ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous. The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Story Structure – interactive notebook
• Story Elements - coloring
• Character Study – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Prefix Sort – cut and paste
Reading Literature supplements:
• Story Structure – Students complete a graphic organizer.
• Story Elements – Students color puzzle pieces according to story element (setting, character, or plot).
• Character Study – Students complete a Character Map about Opal or Miss Franny.
• Point of View – Students determine the point of view of books in the classroom. (Focus is on 1st and 3rd person.) (2014 & 2017)
• Flashback – Students summarize the flashback and infer the author's reason for including a flashback in the story. (2011/2012)
• Text-dependent story questions
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
• Because of BookEnds: Text-dependent questions
• V/CV, VC/V Syllable Patterns – Students color words based on their syllable pattern.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are large and in black & white.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Prefix Sort – Students cut and paste words based on prefixes Re-, Dis-, and Un-
• Using Prefixes to Determine Meaning – Students define words based on their understanding of the prefix.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Triangles
• Spelling Sort – Long /a/ and Short /a/ - Students write words into the correct column based on their vowel sound.
• Simple Subjects and Simple Predicates – Students underline simple subjects and circle simple predicates.
• Complete Subjects and Predicates – Students identify complete subjects and predicates. They also add complete predicates to complete subjects in order to create sentences.
• Correcting Fragments – Students add a subject or predicate to create complete sentences.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Below are more lessons available for Unit 1!
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.