This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 11 (Hurricanes: Earth’s Mightiest Storms). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for Journeys Lesson 11 (The Screech Owl Who Liked Television) aligned to 2011/2012.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Text Structure – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Suffix Sort – cut and paste
• Compound Words – cut and paste
• Frequently Confused Words – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Text and Graphic Features – Students notice the text and graphic features as they read. The complete the graphic organizer, listing each text feature, its page number, and the information it gives.
• Cause and Effect – Students look for patterns of causes and effects. They complete the table, writing the causes and effects of hurricanes.
• Making Predictions – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting their predictions as they read. The write down the story details that lead them to their predictions, as well.
• Making Inferences – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting their inferences as they read. The write down the story details and/or background knowledge that lead them to their inferences, as well.
• Hurricanes: Earth’s Mightiest Storms - Text-dependent story questions
• Recovering from Katrina - Text-dependent questions
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “What are the benefits of studying weather?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Vocabulary Synonyms and Antonyms – Students determine whether each word paired with a vocabulary word is a synonym or antonym of the vocabulary word.
• Suffix Sort - Students copy and paste the words into the correct column, based upon the suffixes –ful, -less, -ness, and -ment.
• Suffixes - Students use what they know about the meaning of the suffixes to match each word to its definition.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Compound Words - Students create compound words by cutting and pasting the words at the bottom of the page next to the the words at the top.
• Frequently Confused Words - Students circle the correct form of each word in each sentence. Students also draw lines to connect frequently confused words to their meanings.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
More materials available for Unit 3!
Journeys Lesson 12
Journeys Lesson 13
Journeys Lesson 14
Journeys Lesson 15
Unit 3 BUNDLE for Journeys 2011/2012
Unit 3 BUNDLE 2014 & 2017
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.