This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 13 (Antarctic Journal). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Story Summary – interactive notebook
• Similes and Metaphors - coloring
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Sequence of Events – Students notice the sequence of events. They record the most important events in the order they occurred.
• Number the Events – Number the story events into the correct sequence.
• Story Summary - Students write a summary of the story. Transition words are provided, and students are encouraged to use the vocabulary words.
• Similes and Metaphors – Students color examples of similes and metaphors (from the text) according to the key.
• Antarctic Journal- Text-dependent story questions
• Drawing a Conclusion - Students draw a conclusion about the author. They support their conclusion with details from the text.
• Cold, Cold Science - Text-dependent questions
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How are different parts of an ecosystem connected?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues – Students use context clues to determine the correct vocabulary word for each incomplete sentence.
• Greek and Latin Word Parts – Students use the Greek and Latin word parts to match each word to its definition. (spect struct vis tele)
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Endings (-ed, -ing) - Students complete the spelling words, adding –ed, -ing, and any doubled consonants necessary.
• Spelling Rainbow Words - Students write the spelling words in rainbow order, one letter at a time, so that each word in the color of the rainbow.
• Modal Auxiliaries - Students draw lines to match each modal auxiliary to its meaning. Then, students underline the modal auxiliary in each sentence and explain why it is the appropriate modal auxiliary for the sentence.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 3!
Journeys Lesson 11
Journeys Lesson 12
Journeys Lesson 14
Journeys Lesson 15
Journeys Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.