This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 3, Lesson 14 (The Life and Times of the Ant). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Text Structure – interactive notebook
• Author’s Purpose - coloring
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Text and Graphic Features – Students notice the text and graphic features as they read. The complete the graphic organizer, listing each text feature, its page number, and the information it gives.
• Asking Questions – Students ask questions as they read the story. They record their questions and the answers, if they find them.
• Asking Questions – Students ask questions as they read. They record the questions based on whether they begin with Who, What, Where, When, Why or How.
• Author’s Purpose - Students complete the graphic organizer, taking notes on the author’s main purpose for writing the text.
• Author’s Purpose, Providing Details - Students read 3 possible purposes for the text. They support each purpose with 2-3 details.
• Author’s Purpose Classification - Students read the book titles and color them according to the key. Students must determine whether the purpose is to entertain, inform, or persuade.
• The Life and Times of the Ant - Text-dependent story questions
• The Dove and the Ant - Text-dependent questions
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How do living things each have an important role in the world?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Vocabulary Context Clues – Students use context clues to determine the vocabulary word that best replaces the given synonym.
• Suffix Sort - Students copy and paste the words into the correct column, based upon the suffixes –ible and –able. They give the root word for each word with the –able suffix.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Word Search - Students write the spelling words into a grid. Then, they hide these words among other letters.
• Participles - Students read each sentence, underlining the participle or participial phrase and circling the noun it describes.
More materials available for Unit 3!
Journeys Lesson 11
Journeys Lesson 12
Journeys Lesson 13
Journeys Lesson 15
Journeys Unit 3 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.