This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 16 (Riding Freedom). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Character Study – interactive notebook
• Monitor and Clarify – interactive notebook
• Historical Fiction Details - coloring
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Compare and Contrast Venn Diagram – Students complete the graphic organizer. They look for ways the two characters are alike and different.
• Compare and Contrast Paragraphs – Students write paragraphs about how Charley and James are alike and different. They think about the characters’ words, actions, and choices.
• Character Map – Students complete the character map. They choose 2 words to describe Charley and then support their word choices with details from the text.
• Monitor & Clarify: Tricky Words – Students write down any tricky words they find as they read. They use context clues to determine the meaning and then look up the definition in the dictionary.
Historical Fiction is a bonus skill not covered in the 2011/2012 publication year.
• Historical Fiction: Classifying - Students color examples of historical fiction green. They color nonexamples purple.
• Historical Fiction: Details - Students make a list of historical fiction details.
• Riding Freedom - Text-dependent story questions
• Spindletop – Text-dependent questions
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “What traits do successful people have?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to determine the vocabulary word that best fits each incomplete sentence.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Consonants & Vowels - Students choose their 2 favorite colors. They write their spelling words, using one color for vowels and the other color for consonants.
• Adjectives - Students combine 2 short, choppy sentences into one long, smooth sentence. They must order the adjectives correctly.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 17
Journeys Lesson 18 (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Lesson 18 (2011/2012)
Journeys Lesson 19
Journeys Lesson 20
Unit 4 BUNDLE 2014 & 2017
Unit 4 BUNDLE 2011/2012
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.