This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 17 (The Right Dog for the Job). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Picture Summary – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Suffixes – coloring
• Suffixes – cut and paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Sequence of Events– Students take notes on the most important events in the story. They write the events into the graphic organizer, in the order in which they occurred.
• Number the Events – As they read, students number the given events into the correct sequence.
• Summarizing – Students write a summary of the story using the transition words provided. They are challenged to use vocabulary words in their summary.
• Main Idea and Details Web – Students complete the web, supporting the main idea (Puppies must learn many important skills in order to be service dogs) with details.
• The Right Dog for the Job - Text-dependent story questions
• Knowing Noses: Main Idea and Details – Students read the article and support two main ideas with details from the text.
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How do people and animals benefit each other?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to determine the vocabulary word that best fits each incomplete sentence.
• Suffixes –ation, -ition, -ion - Students write the root word for each given word. They then color the dog beside each word according to the suffix.
• Suffixes: Determining Meaning - Students use their understanding of the suffix meanings, as well as the root of each word, to cut and paste each definition to the correct word.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Triangle Words - Students write their spelling words one letter at a time so that the words form triangles. (An example is given.)
• Adverbs - Students underline the adverb in each sentence. They then tell if it’s an adverb of frequency or intensity.
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 16
Journeys Lesson 18
Journeys Lesson 19
Journeys Lesson 20
Journeys Unit 4 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.