This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 18 (Hercules’ Quest). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Story Structure – interactive notebook
• Story Elements – coloring
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Adages and Proverbs – coloring
• Contradictory Adages and Proverbs – cut and paste
• Spelling Sort: Prefixes – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Story Structure– Students complete the graphic organizer. They take notes on the most important characters, the setting, and the plot.
• Story Elements – Students study the examples. They color the examples of characters, settings, and plots according to the key.
• Asking Questions – Students ask questions about the story as they read. Then, they record their answers if they find them!
• Theme – Students write the theme in the center of the web. Then, they support the theme with supporting details from the text.
• Hercules’ Quest - Text-dependent story questions
• Zomo’s Friends – Text-dependent story questions
• Zomo’s Friends Story Structure – Students complete the graphic organizer. They take notes on the most important characters, the setting, and the plot.
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “What makes a character memorable?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to determine the vocabulary word that best fits each incomplete sentence.
• Adages and Proverbs - Students read the adages. They write explanations for each adage, and color the apple next to the adages they’ve heard before.
• Contradictory Adages and Proverbs - Students cut and paste each adage at the bottom next to the adage with the opposite meaning. In each row, students color the adages they believe to be true.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Prefix Sort - Students write the words next to a lion, a dragon, or an apple depending on the prefix. They color the words according to the prefix, as well.
• Prefixes - Students use what they know about the meaning of the prefixes to define each word.
• Prepositional Phrases - Students circle the preposition in each sentence. They underline the entire prepositional phrase. They tell whether the preposition conveys location, time, or other information.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year Bundle Units 1-3
Half Year Bundle Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 16
Journeys Lesson 17
Journeys Lesson 19
Journeys Lesson 20
Journeys Unit 4 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.