This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 19 (Harvesting Hope). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Drawing Idioms – interactive notebook
• Idioms – coloring
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Suffix Sort – cut and paste
• Relative Pronouns and Adverbs – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Conclusions and Generalizations– Students complete the graphic organizer. They take notes on the text evidence that helps them draw a conclusion or generalization.
• Two Conclusions and Generalizations – Students complete the graphic organizer. They take notes on the text evidence that helps them draw a two conclusions or generalizations.
• Supporting Generalizations – Students support the generalizations with text evidence.
• Make Predictions – Students make predictions as they read. They give the text details that led to their predictions.
• Make Inferences – Students make inferences as they read. They give the text details and background knowledge that led to their predictions.
• Idioms – Students read the examples. They differentiate between idioms, similes, metaphors and personification. They color the idioms green.
• Harvesting Hope - Text-dependent story questions
• The Edible Schoolyard – Main Idea and Details
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “Why is farming important?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to determine the vocabulary word that best fits each incomplete sentence.
• Reference Materials - Students look up words in the dictionary. They write the words’ definitions, the parts of speech, the pronunciation, and syllabication.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: Suffix Sort - Students cut and paste the spelling words into the correct columns, based upon their suffix.
• Suffix Meanings - Students use what they know about the meaning of the suffixes, as well as the root words, to match each word to its definition.
• Relative Pronouns and Adverbs - Students circle the relative pronoun or adverb in each sentence. They color the pictures according to the key.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year Bundle Units 1-3
Half Year Bundle Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 16
Journeys Lesson 17
Journeys Lesson 18
Journeys Lesson 20
Journeys Unit 4 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.