This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 2 (My Brother Martin). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Author’s Purpose – interactive notebook
• Author’s Purpose - coloring
• Monitor & Clarify – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Prefix Sort – cut and paste
• Types of Sentences (statements, questions, commands, exclamations) – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Author’s Purpose – Students write about the author’s purpose for writing the story.
• Author’s Purpose 2 – Students think about the books they’ve read this year and classify their purpose as: to entertain, to inform, or to persuade.
• Classifying Author’s Purpose – Students study the examples of book titles and classify the author’s purpose.
• Monitor and Clarify – Students monitor their understanding as they read. They write down their questions and note tricky words. They use context clues to attempt to understand words, and then define the words using the dictionary.
• Idioms – Students determine the meanings of common idioms.
• Idioms 2 – Students draw 3 common idioms. They draw the idiom’s meaning as well as the literal meaning of the words.
• Text-dependent story questions
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
• Langston Hughes: Text-dependent questions
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Prefix Sort – Students cut and paste words based on prefixes Ir-, Im-, In-, and Il-
• Using Prefixes to Determine Meaning – Students define words based on their understanding of the prefix.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Rainbow Words
• Spelling Sort – Long /e/ and Short /e/ - Students write words into the correct column based on their vowel sound.
• Classifying Types of Sentences – Students classify sentences as statements, questions, commands, and exclamations.
• Changing Sentences – Student change statements to questions, questions to commands, exclamations to statements, and commands to questions.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year Bundle Units 1-3
Half Year Bundle Units 4-6
Below are more lessons available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 1
Journeys Lesson 3
Journeys Lesson 4
Journeys Lesson 5
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.