This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 4, Lesson 20 (Sacagawea). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Visualizing – interactive notebook
• Picture Summary – drawing
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Main Idea and Details - Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the main idea as they read. The support the main idea with details from the text.
• Two Main Ideas and Details – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting two main ideas as they read. The support the main idea with details from the text.
• Supporting the Main Idea – Students support the main ideas provided with details from the text.
• Picture Summary – Students draw a picture summary of the story, adding dialogue and labels as needed.
• Onomatopoeia – Students read the list of objects and give a sound word for each object. (Example: race car - Vroom!)
• Sacagawea - Text-dependent story questions
• Native American Nature Poetry – questions and visualizing
• Essential Question – Students journal write answering the question “How do different cultures contribute to American history?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues - Students use context clues to determine the vocabulary word that best fits each incomplete sentence.
• Shades of Meaning - Students study each list of words. They write the words on the arrows in order of intensity.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling: VCCV Pattern - Students choose their 2 favorite colors. They write the spelling words using these colors. One color is used for the VCCV pattern; the other is used for the rest of the word.
• Abbreviations - Students match each word to its abbreviation.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
More materials available for Unit 4!
Journeys Lesson 16
Journeys Lesson 17
Journeys Lesson 18 (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Lesson 18 (2011/2012)
Journeys Lesson 19
Unit 4 BUNDLE 2014 & 2017
Unit 4 BUNDLE for Journeys 2011/2012
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.