This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 22 (I Could Do That!). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Cause & Effect – interactive notebook
• Informational Text: The 3 Branches of Government – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Adages & Proverbs – coloring and cut & paste
• VCCV and VCV Patterns – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Cause & Effect - Students complete the graphic organizer, noting patterns of causes and effects in the story.
• Cause & Effect Practice - Students read the given causes. They write reasonable effects. Students read given effects and create reasonable causes.
• Cause and Effect for Interactive Notebook – (This page may be used in place of the following Cause and Effect page.) Students identify one main cause in Esther Morris’ life. They identify many effects.
• Cause & Effect Chart Causes Provided - The main cause is provided for students. They must identify many effects.
• Making Predictions - Students make predictions as they read. They give the page number and story details that lead them to this prediction.
• Making Inferences - Students make inferences as they read. They give the page number and story details, as well as any background knowledge, that helped them infer.
• Evaluating Generalizations - Students evaluate given generalizations. They respond to the statements by telling why they agree or disagree.
• Text-dependent story questions
• The Role of the Constitution: informational text summary
• Three Branches of Government for Interactive Notebook - Students read The Role of the Constitution. They lift the flaps and write about the 3 branches of government.
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question, “What causes change in a community?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Vocabulary Definitions for Interactive Notebook – (This page may be used in place of the Vocabulary Definition and Sentence Writing sheet.) Students lift the flaps and write sentences with the vocabulary words.
• Using Context Clues
• Answering Questions Using Vocabulary Words - After reading the story, students answer questions about the story using vocabulary words.
• Adages & Proverbs - Students explain well-known adages. They color the flags next to the adages they’ve heard before.
• Contradictory Adages - Students match contradictory adages (such as Absence makes the heart grow fonder and Out of sight, out of mind.) They cut and paste to match adages and then choose the adage they believe.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Sort: VCCV and VCV Patterns
• Negatives - Students rewrite each positive sentence into a negative using the words no one, nobody, nothing, nowhere, and never.
• Correcting Double Negatives - Students correct sentences with double negatives. They remove one negative and rephrase the sentence, if needed.
More materials available for Unit 5!
Journeys Lesson 21
Journeys Lesson 23
Journeys Lesson 24
Journeys Lesson 25
Journeys Unit 5 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.