This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 23 (The Ever Living Tree). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Monitor & Clarify – interactive notebook
• Similes – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Prefixes pre, ex, inter – cut & paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Text & Graphic Features - Students take notes on the text and graphic features in the story. They use the graphic organizer to list each text feature, its page number, and the information it gives.
• Visualizing - Students draw a visualization they had while reading.
• Monitor & Clarify - Students write any questions they have while reading. The questions are organized by who, what, where, when, why and how. Students also monitor their understanding of vocabulary by noting tricky words. They write the word, the page number, the meaning using context clues, and the dictionary definition.
• Monitor & Clarify for Interactive Notebook – (This may be used in place of the Who What When Where Why and How page.) Students lift the flaps and ask Who What Where When Why and How questions about the story.
• Text Structure - Students note how the text is organized as they read. They take note on what is happening in the life of the tree and in the life of humans.
• Text Structure: Life of the Tree Sequence of Events - Students number the life events of the tree into the correct sequence.
• Text Structure: Life of Humans Sequence of Events - Students number the life events of humans into the correct sequence.
• Text-dependent story questions
• Towering Trees: Text-dependent questions
• Field Guide to Snakes: Students read and interpret a chart.
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question, “How do forests and trees show change?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Vocabulary Definitions for Interactive Notebook – (This page may be used in place of the Vocabulary Definition and Sentence Writing sheet.) Students lift the flaps and write sentences with the vocabulary words.
• Using Context Clues
• Prefix Sort - Students cut and paste words into the correct column based upon their prefix.
• Using Prefixes to Determine Meaning – Students use their knowledge of the prefix meanings to match words to their definitions.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Word Search – Students create a word search using their spelling words.
• VCCV Pattern – Students write their spelling words, highlighting the VCCV pattern as they write.
• Colons & Ellipses – Students combine sentences using colons and ellipses. (2014 & 2017)
• Using Quotation Marks – Students use commas and quotation marks to set off speaking. (2011/2012)
• Working with Quotations – Students highlight the sentences punctuated correctly. (2011/2012)
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
More materials available for Unit 5!
Journeys Lesson 21
Journeys Lesson 22
Journeys Lesson 24
Journeys Lesson 25
Unit 5 BUNDLE 2014 & 2017
Unit 5 BUNDLE 2011/2012
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.