This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 24 (Owen and Mzee). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Character Study – interactive notebook
• Fact & Opinion – interactive notebook (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Suffixes ed & -ly – cut & paste
• Correct Comma Usage – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Compare & Contrast (Venn Diagram) – Students use the graphic organizer to compare the two animals.
• Compare & Contrast (Paragraph Writing) – Students compare the two animals in paragraph form. They write a topic sentence and supporting details.
• Character Map – Students complete a Character Map. They use two adjectives to describe a character and support their choice with details from the text.
• Tricky Words – Students evaluate their own understanding of the text by noting tricky words. They use context clues, and then a dictionary, to find meanings.
• Analyzing the Theme – Students evaluate the given theme and support the theme with details from the text.
• Book Recommendation – Students analyze and evaluate the story using by completing a detailed book recommendation.
• Fact and Opinion – Students list the facts and opinions from the text. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Author’s Word Choice – Students evaluate the author’s word choice in 3 examples, explaining the importance of highlighted words.
• Author’s Word Choice (Synonyms) – Students make lists of powerful synonyms for 9 given words.
• Text-dependent story questions
• Sea Sanctuary: Text-dependent questions
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question, “How can animal behavior be like human behavior?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Vocabulary Definitions for Interactive Notebook – (This page may be used in place of the Vocabulary Definition and Sentence Writing sheet.) Students lift the flaps and write sentences with the vocabulary words.
• Using Context Clues
• Suffix Sort – Students cut and paste words ending in –ed and –ly, matching verbs to adverbs.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• VCCCV Pattern – Students complete each spelling word by filling in the missing VCCCV pattern.
• Comma Corrections – Students correct sentences, adding commas where needed.
• Correct Comma Usage – Students evaluate sentence for comma usage. Sentences are colored determined by their accuracy.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year Bundle Units 1-3
Half Year Bundle Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 5!
Journeys Lesson 21
Journeys Lesson 22
Journeys Lesson 23
Journeys Lesson 25
Journeys Unit 5 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.