This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, simply select the lesson that matches the publication year of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 5, Lesson 25 (The Fun They Had). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Author’s Purpose – interactive notebook
• Author’s Purpose – coloring
• Classifying Author’s Purpose – coloring
• Asking Questions – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Author’s Purpose – Students take notes to determine the author’s main purpose for writing the story.
• Classifying Author’s Purpose – Students study examples and color according to the author’s purpose to entertain or persuade.
• Author’s Purpose – Students take notes to explain that some stories have more than one purpose.
• Author’s Purpose – Students color book titles based upon the author’s purpose.
• Author’s Message – Students write 3 details to support the author’s message that Technology can not replace human relationships.
• Asking Questions – Students record questions they have while reading. They record the page number and any answers they find.
• Asking Questions – Students record their questions on a graphic organizer grouped by Who, What, Where, When, Why and How.
• Genre: Science Fiction – Students make a list of futuristic details that classify this story as science fiction. (2014 & 2017)
• Tone: Humorous – Students make a list of details that provide a humorous tone. (2011/2012)
• Text-dependent story questions
• Toys!: Text-dependent questions (2014 & 2017)
• Technology For All Learners: Main idea and supporting details (2011/2012)
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question, “How do inventions change the way we do things?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Vocabulary Definitions for Interactive Notebook – (This page may be used in place of the Vocabulary Definition and Sentence Writing sheet.) Students lift the flaps and write sentences with the vocabulary words.
• Using Context Clues
• Greek and Latin Roots – Students use the meanings of Greek and Latin roots to define words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• VV Pattern Sort – Students write the spelling words into the correct VV grouping.
• Proper Mechanics – Students correct the capitalization and punctuation of sentences written incorrectly.
• Proper Mechanics – Students explain why each word is capitalized and why punctuation is used.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
More materials available for Unit 5!
Journeys Lesson 21
Journeys Lesson 22
Journeys Lesson 23
Journeys Lesson 24
Unit 5 BUNDLE 2014 & 2017
Unit 5 BUNDLE 2011/2012
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.