This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, & 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, simply select the lesson that matches the publication year of your curriculum. (The only difference between the publication years are the vocabulary words.)
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 29 (Save Timber Woods!). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
• Understanding Characters – interactive notebook
• Word Origins - drawing
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Pronouns – cut and paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Understanding Characters - Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the characters’ thoughts, words, and actions.
• Character Map - Students complete the character map, writing the character’s name, two adjectives to describe the character, and evidence from the text to support each adjective.
• Making Predictions – Students complete the graphic organizer, noting their predictions as they read. The write down the story details that lead them to their predictions, as well.
• Making Inferences - Students complete the graphic organizer, noting their inferences as they read. The write down the story details and/or background knowledge that lead them to their inferences, as well.
• Save Timber Woods! - Text-dependent story questions
• Following Muir: A Persuasive Essay - Text-dependent questions
• The Comb of Trees & Enjoy the Earth – Poetry connection
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question, “What can people learn by working for a cause?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Word Origins – Students use the dictionary to look up origins of given words. They color the words according to the key.
• Spelling Words – write 3 times each
• Spelling Triangle Words – Students write the spelling words into Triangle Words. They write each word, one letter at a time, forming triangles as they write.
• Pronouns – Students cut and paste the correct pronoun – I or Me - into each sentence.
• Using the Right Pronouns – Students complete each sentence by circling the correct form of the pronoun.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
Below are more lessons available for Unit 6:
Journeys Lesson 26
Journeys Lesson 27
Journeys Lesson 28
Journeys Lesson 30
Unit 6 BUNDLE 2014 & 2017
Unit 6 BUNDLE 2011/2012
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.