This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 3 (How Tia Lola Came to Stay). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
for Unit 1, Lesson 3 (My Librarian is a Camel) for the 2014 & 2017 publication years.
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Cause and Effect - interactive notebook
• Cause and Effect – cut and paste
• Visualizing - interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Kinds of Sentences - interactive notebook
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Cause and Effect – Students look for and write about the causes and effects in the story.
• Cause and Effect 2 – Students read the story and explain the effects of the given causes, and explain the causes for the given effects.
• Cause and Effect Matching – Students study the causes. They cut and paste the puzzle pieces to match the causes with their effects.
• Visualizing – Students draw and describe a visualization they had while reading.
• Metaphors – Students complete the metaphors, and then explain the meaning of each comparison.
• How Tia Lola Came to Stay: Story Questions - Students answer text-dependent comprehension questions.
• Pizza Pizzaz - Students read the text about pizza and then write their own recipe, including the ingredients, instructions, a name, and an illustration.
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Triangle Words
• Spelling Sort – Long /i/ and Short /i/ - Students write words into the correct column based on their vowel sound.
• Classifying Sentences – Students read each sentence to determine the type of sentence. They write the correct letter in the box.
• Changing Sentences – Students change statements to questions, questions to commands, exclamations to statements, and commands to questions.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
Below are more lessons available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 1
Journeys Lesson 2
Journeys Lesson 4
Journeys Lesson 5
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.