This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 6, Lesson 30 (Mystery at Reed’s Pond.) The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
• Picture Summary – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Suffixes –er, -or, -ist – coloring
• Suffixes – cut and paste
• Pronoun Contractions – cut and paste
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Conclusions and Generalizations - Students complete the graphic organizer, noting the text evidence that leads them to draw a conclusion or generalization.
• Drawing Conclusions - Students read the supporting details. They draw conclusions.
• Making Generalizations - Students read two questions and journal write, making generalizations.
• Story Summary - Students write a summary of the story using the provided transition words. They are challenged to use vocabulary words in the summary.
• Author’s Word Choice - Students read each sentence and write about the significance of each italicized word.
• Mystery at Reed’s Pond - Text-dependent story questions
• A BIG Python Problem - Text-dependent questions
• Naming the Turtle & Greater Flamingo – Poetry connection
• Essential Question – Students journal write, answering the essential question: “What can we do to protect the environment?”
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Antonyms and Synonyms - Students use what they know about the meanings of the vocabulary words to determine whether the given words are synonyms or antonyms.
• Suffixes - For each word, students give the root word and color the word according to its suffix.
• Suffixes Cut and Paste - Students use what they know about the meanings of the suffixes, as well we the root words, to cut and paste each definition next to the word it defines.
• Spelling Words – write 3 times each
• Spelling Vowels and Consonants - Students write their spelling words. One color is used to write consonants and a different color is used to write vowels.
• Pronoun Contractions – Students cut and paste each contraction next to the words it replaces.
• Homophones and Pronouns - Students circle the correct pronoun for each sentence.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year Bundle Units 1-3
Half Year Bundle Units 4-6
Below are more lessons available for Unit 6:
Journeys Lesson 26
Journeys Lesson 27
Journeys Lesson 28
Journeys Lesson 29
Journeys Unit 6 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.