This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, simply select the lesson that matches the publication year of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 4 (The Power of WOW). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Theme - interactive notebook
• Summarizing - interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Prefix Sort – cut and paste
Reading Literature supplements:
• Theme – Students take notes on the setting, the characters, and the characters’ actions to determine the theme.
• Theme 2 – Similar to the previous sheet, but students determine the theme and give 3 details that helped them make their decision.
• Story Summary – Students write a summary of the story. Transition words are provided. Students are challenged to use vocabulary words in their writing.
• Analyze and Evaluate - Students complete a book recommendation to analyze their understanding of the story and evaluate the story.
• Elements of Drama - Students reread Act 2, Scene 2 and explain the elements of drama and how they impact the story: setting, characters, dialogue, and stage directions.
• Text-dependent story questions
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
• The Kids’ Guide to Money: Text-dependent questions (2014 & 2017)
• Knowing Noses: Search and Rescue Dogs Text-dependent questions (2014 & 2017)
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Prefix Sort – Students cut and paste the words into the correct column, classifying the words by prefixes Non- and Mis-
• Using Prefixes to Determine Meaning
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Word Search – Students create a word search using their spelling words.
• Spelling Sort – Long /o/ and Short /o/ - Students write words into the correct column based on their vowel sound.
• Correcting Fragments - Students correct the sentence fragments by adding a subject or a predicate. (2014 & 2017)
• Correcting Run-ons - Students correct the run-ons by adding ending punctuation after the first complete thought and capitalizing the first letter of the second complete thought. (2014 & 2017)
• Simple and Compound Sentences - Students compound two simple sentences into one compound sentence using a conjunction. They color the conjunction used (and, but, or). (2011/2012)
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
Below are more lessons available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 1
Journeys Lesson 2
Journeys Lesson 3 (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Lesson 3 (2011/2012)
Journeys Lesson 5
Unit 1 BUNDLE 2014 & 2017
Unit 1 BUNDLE 2011/2012
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.