This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 1, Lesson 5 (Stormalong). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-size page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Character Study 1 - interactive notebook
• Character Study 2 - interactive notebook
• Hyperbole - coloring (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Using Reference Materials – cut and paste
Reading Literature supplements:
• Understanding Characters – Students take notes about Stormalong’s thoughts, words, and actions. Students work to understand the main character.
• Character Study – Students complete the Character Map about Stormalong. Students describe the characters using 2 adjectives and support the adjectives with text evidence.
• Making Predictions – Students make predictions about the story as they read. They note the story details that lead them to make the predictions.
• Making Inferences - Students make inferences as they read. They write about the story details and background knowledge that helped them to infer.
• Hyperbole - Students study each sentence. They color examples of hyperbole blue and color sentences with no hyperbole red. (This is a bonus skill not included in the 2011/2012 edition.)
• Text-dependent story questions
• Hoderi the Fisherman: Text-dependent questions
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Using Reference Materials - Students use the dictionary to look up the words: porpoise, anchor, whirl, and vessel. They write the definition, the part of speech, the pronunciation, and the syllabication.
• Using Reference Materials: Guide Words - Students use the guide words at the top of each dictionary page to cut & paste each word onto the correct page.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Alphabetical Order
• Spelling Homophones - Students choose the correct homophone to complete each sentence.
• Spelling: Drawing Homophones
• Common Nouns & Proper Nouns - Students complete the chart, giving a proper noun for each given common noun. Students capitalize proper nouns.
• Capitalizing Proper Nouns - Students proofread sentences, circling proper nouns that should be capitalized. Then, students rewrite the sentences correctly on the lines.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2014 & 2017
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 1-3 for 2011/2012
HALF-YEAR BUNDLE Units 4-6 for 2011/2012
Below are more lessons available for Unit 1!
Journeys Lesson 1
Journeys Lesson 2
Journeys Lesson 3
Journeys Lesson 4
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE 2014 & 2017
Journeys Unit 1 BUNDLE 2011/2012
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.