This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 6 (Once Upon a Cool Motorcycle Dude). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
for the Unit 2 Lesson 6 supplement (Invasion from Mars) created for the publication years of 2014 & 2017!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Compare and Contrast – interactive notebook
• Making and Revising Predictions – interactive notebook
• Hyperbole – coloring
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Weak and Strong Verbs – interactive notebook
• Weak and Strong Verbs - coloring
• Suffix Sort – cut and paste
Reading Literature supplements:
• Compare and Contrast – Students complete the graphic organizer, looking for ways the boy’s and girl’s stories are alike and different.
• Compare and Contrast: Paragraph Form – Students write two paragraphs with topic sentences and supporting details about how the girl’s and boy’s stories are alike and different.
• Making Predictions – Students make predictions about the story as they read. They note the story details that lead them to make the predictions.
• Making Inferences – Students make inferences as they read. They write about the story details and background knowledge that helped them to infer.
• Hyperbole - Students read the sentences, coloring the examples of hyperbole blue and the nonexamples red.
• Text-dependent story questions
• Storyteller Diane Ferlatte: Main Idea and Details - Students read two sections of text, supporting the main idea with supporting details.
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Suffix Sort – Students cut and paste words based on the suffix.
• Defining Words with Suffixes –y and –ous
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Triangles
• Spelling Sort – Long /u/ and Short /u/ - Students write words into the correct column based on their vowel sound.
• Action Verbs, Linking Verbs, and Helping Verbs - Students circle action verbs and underline linking verbs. Then, students add the appropriate helping verbs to the sentences given.
• Weak and Strong Verbs - Students study the examples of weak and strong verbs. They color each example according to the key.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
Below are more lessons available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 7
Journeys Lesson 8
Journeys Lesson 9
Journeys Lesson 10
Journeys Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.