This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2011/2012, 2014, and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
Upon opening the zip file, simply select the lesson that matches the publication year of your curriculum.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 7 (Coming Distractions). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Fact and Opinion – interactive notebook
• Fact and Opinion – coloring
• Summarize – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Sound Sort – cut and paste
• Verb Tense – interactive notebook
• Verb Tense: past, present, and future - coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Fact and Opinion – Students record fact and opinions from the story as they read.
• Fact and Opinion 2 - Students study the examples of facts and opinions and color each statement according to the directions.
• Summarizing – Students summarize each section of Coming Distractions. They restate the most important ideas in their own words.
• Text-dependent story questions
• How Do They Do That? Text-dependent questions - Students answer each text-dependent question in complete sentences. Students look back in the text to provide evidence. (2014 & 2017)
• How Do They Do That? Explain Concepts and Ideas - Students read How Do They Do That? and explain one of two topics in 4 steps. They title their essay and explain the steps in their own words.(2014 & 2017)
• The Wonder of Animation: Text Questions - Students answer text-dependent questions. Students look back in the text to provide evidence. (2011/2012)
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Greek and Latin Word Parts (phon, photo, graph, auto, tele) - Students use the meanings of each Greek and Latin word part to determine the meanings of words.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Rainbow Words
• Spelling Sort – Students sort spelling words based on sound. They cut and paste each word into the correct column.
• Verbs: Past, Present, Future - Students circle the verb in each sentence. Then, students classify each verb as past, present, or future tense.
• Verb Tense - Students color verbs based on whether they are past, present, or future tense.
• Correcting Verb Tense - Students read the paragraphs and circle the verbs in each sentence. Students then rewrite the paragraphs, correcting the verb tense and irregular verbs as they write.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year BUNDLE Units 1-3
Half Year BUNDLE Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 6 (2014 & 2017)
Journeys Lesson 6 (2011/2012)
Journeys Lesson 8
Journeys Lesson 9
Journeys Lesson 10
Journeys Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.