This supplemental pack is aligned to the Journeys 2014 and 2017 curriculum for 4th grade.
This Journeys Grade 4 supplemental pack is created to supplement Unit 2, Lesson 8 (Me and Uncle Romie). The reading responses, activities, and interactive notebook pages focus on the Reading Literature and Language sections of the curriculum.
for ALL Journeys Lessons and Bundles available in my store!
These pages were designed to be engaging to students, yet rigorous.
The fonts are interesting but easy to read, interactive notebook pages are included, and students are given opportunities to color and cut & paste. Students must have access to the text as they work, as many pages require text evidence.
Click PREVIEW for many full-page previews!
Students love these interactive pages! Don't worry if you do not use Interactive Notebooks in your classroom. The interactive pages in this lesson can be glued onto notebook paper or construction paper. You can even staple a "notebook" of lined paper for them to use with their Journeys lessons! They'll love this new way of demonstrating their learning.
• Character Study – interactive notebook
• Visualizing – interactive notebook
• Theme – interactive notebook
• Vocabulary Definitions – interactive notebook
• Progressive Verb tense – interactive notebook
• Spelling Sound Sort – cut and paste
• Progressive Verb Tense – coloring
Reading Literature & Informational Text supplements:
• Understanding Characters – Students take notes on the main character’s thoughts, words, and actions.
• Character Study- Students choose one character to analyze using a Character Map. Students determine 2 adjectives to describe the character and 2 pieces of text evidence to support each adjective.
• Visualizing – Students draw a visualization they had while reading. Students explain the visualization.
• Theme - Students take notes on the setting, characters, and the character’s actions. These ingredients help to determine the theme.
• Text-dependent story questions
• Sidewalk Artists: Story Map and Writing Directions - Students complete a story map about the play. They identify the setting, characters, main problem, and solution. Students also write simple direction for something they know how to do.
• Essential Question – Students journal write about the story’s essential question.
• Vocabulary Word Wall Words – The 10 vocabulary words are printed in large, in black & white, to be printed and hung in the classroom.
• Dictionary Definitions and Sentence Writing
• Using Context Clues
• Figurative Language Word Wall Cards - Word Wall cards with definitions for the following: metaphor, simile, personification, alliteration, onomatopoeia, hyperbole, idiom
• Figurative Language - Students identify each sentence as an example of a simile, metaphor, personification, alliteration, onomatopoeia, hyperbole, or an idiom.
• Spelling List – 2 to a page, to be printed and cut apart
• Spelling 3 Times Each
• Spelling Word Search - Students write the spelling words into a grid. They hide the words among other letters.
• Sound Sort – Students cut and paste spelling words according to sounds: -ou as in mouth and –o as in talk.
• Progressive Verbs - Students study the examples and color the picture frames according to the progressive verb tense.
An entire year of Journeys supplements for your 4th Grade classroom!
Half Year Bundle Units 1-3
Half Year Bundle Units 4-6
More materials available for Unit 2!
Journeys Lesson 6
Journeys Lesson 7
Journeys Lesson 9
Journeys Lesson 10
Journeys Unit 2 BUNDLE
Please Note: These materials have been created by Amanda Garcia. The materials are not developed or endorsed by the Houghton Mifflin Publishing Company.